Number 209 February 10, 2023 St. Louis
Celebrate the Super Bowl & Black History Month with These Recipes
Whether it’s the commercials, Rihanna, or the actual game you’ll be tuning in for this Sunday, one thing everyone can agree on is it’s the food that makes the Super Bowl worth celebrating. In honor of the big game and Black History Month, we reached out to several of Justine PETERSEN’s favorite Black female cooks for recipes they recommend serving up, no matter the crowd.
Did Someone Say Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings (pictured above) – from JP client Shanta Donaldson, proprietor of Lumpy Mash Potato
- Chicken wings
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Lemon pepper
- Zest from lemons
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Pat chicken wings dry with paper towels
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Toss wings with a hint of baking powder
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes
- Toss wings with olive oil, lemon pepper, lemon zest, garlic powder, and black pepper
- Line a pan with foil and top with a baking rack. Spray the baking rack with cooking spray
- Bake wings for 15 minutes; flip and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until crisp; if desired, broil for one minute on each side
- Combine butter, lemon juice, lime juice, lemon zest, and black pepper; toss wings with mixture
- Generously season with extra lemon pepper to taste; if desired add fresh thyme
- Serve and enjoy immediately
Vegan Deli Sliders – from JP Client Tiarra Adams, proprietor of Viva La Vegan
- Vegan Hawaiian rolls
- Vegan deli meat
- Vegan smoked Gouda
- Vegan mayo
- Vegan butter
- Dried minced onion
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Monk fruit sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut rolls in half and lay bottom halves in pan
- Lay vegan deli meat and vegan cheese on top
- Place top buns
- Mix together melted vegan butter, all seasonings and monk fruit sweetener
- Pour mixture over top buns
- Baked covered for 25-30 minutes
- Remove tops and grill for one minute
- Serve and feel good!
Turkey/Chicken Salad Sandwiches – from JP Asset Building Counselor, Nikki Wilson
- Chicken or turkey (amount dependent on size of group)
- Rolls (I prefer Hawaiian; crackers can also be used if serving as a dip)
- Mayo, 30oz. (I prefer Hellman’s)
- Dill pickles, chopped up finely
- Three celery stalks, chopped
- Green onions, chopped finely
- Raisins or cranberries
- For crunch, pecans or cashews
- For sweeter taste, honey mustard
- If frozen, defrost chicken or turkey
- Chop or shred the protein
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together
- Enjoy and be everyone’s new best friend!
JP Welcomes Andrew Barnes!
Justine PETERSEN is excited to welcome Andrew Barnes to our Development team! Andrew joins us as a Resource Development Associate, who will be especially focused in grant writing efforts, tracking client outcomes, and communications campaigns. Prior to coming on at JP, Andrew completed his Master’s degree in Liberal Arts, while also studying Nonprofit Management, at Washington University in St. Louis. His career spans from insurance brokerage to hospitality management to theater performance. What most excited Andrew to take this opportunity was the alignment of JP’s mission to his passion for helping individuals gain access to equitable housing and financial products. An avid Harry Potter fan, Andrew would likely be sorted into Ravenclaw “I think because I like to think of myself as a forever student, trying to learn everything that I can and applying that knowledge to my work and life. As well, I like to think outside the box.” Welcome, Andrew; we’re looking forward to leveraging your ever-evolving knowledge!
As a participant of the Gateway Neighborhood Fund, Justine PETERSEN is creating access to home financing options for individuals and families. The Gateway Neighborhood Fund provides loans to qualified borrowers to either purchase or make improvements on existing homes in neighborhoods with depressed property values. These loans allow up to $75,000 over the appraised value for the purchase or renovation of homes. Qualifying borrowers will receive the loan product from participating banks, which will ensure consistent terms and rates on quality affordable mortgages. Additionally, homebuyers will receive counseling through Justine PETERSEN and work with a project manager who will help oversee renovation of the home. Those interested can reach out directly to JP’s Housing Manager, Randen Click at email@example.com.
As a HUD certified counseling agency, Justine PETERSEN is here to support. We encourage anyone interested in learning more about mortgage assistance and the application process to contact us by emailing JPHomeTeam@justinepetersen.org. More information can also be found here.
Happy Birthday, Sheri!
This weekend marks one of JP’s fearless leaders’ birthdays: Chief Operating Officer, Sheri Flainigan-Vazquez! Sheri is always a steady presence for the organization, navigating us through changes, challenges, and everything in between. We’re wishing her a weekend full of celebration and happy times!